RECIPE | Falafel & Tzatziki
Serves 6 (12 Falafel)
Ingredients – Falafel
1* 400g can chickpeas, drained
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 cloves Garlic, crushed
2/3 cup fresh Coriander, finely chopped
1/3 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
30g self-raising flour
1 small egg, lightly beaten
Ingredients – Tzatziki Dip
1 large lebanese cucumber, grated
310g natural greek yoghurt, drained of any excess water
1 clove garlic, crushed
squeeze lemon juice to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Blend chickpeas and onion in a food processor until combined. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add spices, garlic, fresh herbs and mix well. Stir in flour and egg.
- Roll small handfuls of mixture into balls. Place on a lined baking tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Flatten balls and then lightly fry in a non-stick fry pan sprayed with oil. Alternatively, you can bake in the oven, turning falafel once halfway to ensure they are golden brown on both sides.
- To make Tzatziki, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Serve Falafel balls with Tzatziki dip.
Each serve provides
- ½ children’s serve of meat/alternatives* (chickpeas)
- ½ children’s serve of milk/alternatives** (yoghurt)
- For an egg free option replace each egg with 1 teaspoon of egg replacer and 2 tablespoons of water.
- For a milk protein free or lactose free option, substitute the Tzatziki dip with hummus dip.
- For a nut free option, ensure the crushed garlic does not contain any nut products (if using commercial, jarred crushed garlic).
- For a gluten/wheat free option, serve with gluten free bread or wraps and use gluten free flour (check gluten free products for soy if necessary).
- If serving as a main meal, accompany with pita bread and salad.